[Buddha-l] Speaking of simple minds

Rob Hogendoorn r.m.hogendoorn at umail.leidenuniv.nl
Fri Aug 5 09:49:17 MDT 2005

Well, to quote Matthieu Ricard himself: "In terms of absolute truth,
there's no creation, no duration, and no end" (p. 29). Further: "All
religions and philosophies have become unstuck on the problem of
creation. Science has gotten rid of it by removing God the creator,
who had become unnecessary. Buddhism has done so by eliminating the
very idea of a beginning." (p. 31) And then "We [Buddhists, RH]
aren't just talking about matter when we depict the universe as a
series of metamorphoses without a beginning. Consciousness has no
start, either. (...) The problem of the lack of any first cause for
phenomena and consciousness falls into the category of what Buddhism
calls the "inconceivable." But we need not stand in dumb
incomprehension in front of such mysteries unsolvable by the
intellect. Certain things simply cannot be grasped using ordinary
concepts. The idea of a beginning is "inconceivable" not because it
would be so long ago or far off in space, but because our discursive
minds cannot stand back from that process of beginning in a way that
is needed to transcend all concepts. Our ordinary way of thinking
emerged from that same process and thus it can't place itself
"outside" the chain of causes and so determine its own origin" (p.
35), after which an entire chapter "In search of the great
watchmaker: Is there a principle of organization?" begins.

So, to answer your question: Conceivably, Ricard would agree that our
ordinarily way of thinking does allow us to coherently speak of
'creation', 'creator' or 'principle of organization', as long as one
doing so does not presuppose any notion of a prime cause. I suppose
Ricard would ask you back: what created or creates the karma-
motivation-action organizing principle that creates a deluded creator
of deluded experience?

Take care,

Rob

Op 5-aug-2005, om 6:56 heeft Tom Troughton het volgende geschreven: