[Buddha-l] From Hans Gruenig

Richard Nance richard.nance at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 12:58:58 MDT 2005

>  I'd love to find contemporary texts that are,
> perhaps, the Buddhist-non-dual-awareness-discourse-equivalent of Lama Surya
> Das's "Awakening the Buddha Within" or Gunaratana's "Mindfulness in Plain
> English" -- that is, something clear, accessible, inspiring, poignant,
> evocative, practice oriented, non-sectarian, and not heavily laden with
> cultural trappings.  Do you have any book, article, chapter, or other
> recommendations?

You might want to try Dudjom Rinpoche's "Counsels from My Heart." I'd
also suggest looking into the work of Namkhai Norbu (although no
specific text leaps to mind), and perhaps Shunryu Suzuki's *Zen Mind,
Beginner's Mind*. Many beginning students find the latter text very
appealing, although the book is not without its problems (Suzuki makes
some claims that sound very, very odd coming from a Buddhist  -- e.g.
"everything is independent.")

Best wishes,

R. Nance