[Buddha-l] Hindu Fundamentalism

StormyTet at aol.com StormyTet at aol.com
Sat Aug 6 16:28:08 MDT 2005

In a message dated 8/6/2005 4:08:38 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
Richard.P.Hayes at comcast.net writes:

It would  be a shame if
students were no longer trained to answer the outrageously  purblind
claims made by the religiously intolerant. So I agree that we MUST  teach
religion in the public schools. What we must not do is to let  education
be replaced by sectarian  indoctrination.

ST: I just finished reading Ken Wilber's "The Marriage of Sense and Soul.'
In his insistence that the core of spirituality (looking within) leads to what
he calls 'vision-logic' or transrational knowledge, he insists that Science
needs to recognize that through meditation and the community of meditaters,
there is a way to meet the basic criteria of science in terms of validity  and
method in acknowledging higher states of being (and he does mean  higher than
reason). He believes that this meaning science (meditation)  desperately needs
to be validated (on its own terms) in our day and age.  His basic answer is
that religions of all stripes bracket their mythological  beliefs and recognize
that they are unscientific, but to say that their practice  meditation (or
equivalent) is a tool and that if you want to see the  results use the tool and
verify or deny the validity.  He traces the  problems with the rift between
science and religion to Popper and Kuhn. Kuhn  calling for an injunction (if you
want to know this, do this) and seeing it  only in terms of materiality and
Popper suggesting that only material objects  could be falsified (ignoring math
and meditation experiences).

I think that Wilber would call for a type of practice of meditation in
schools as a valid tool toward understanding. He suggests that truly 'spiritual'
people need to stand up to dogmatic myth believers and tell them that they need
 to get to the core of what it is all about and stand up for that --  which
for wilber comes down to the validity of meditation that is to some degree
universal in all the world religions. Wilber considers the materialistic science
that we are fed in school, scientism -- in otherwords, as sectarian and full
of  myths as any fundamentalist religion in its insistence in that science has
the  corner on truth.

Stormy