[Buddha-l] WAS: Hindu Fundamentalism IS: mountains as centers

John Whalen-Bridge ellwbj at nus.edu.sg
Tue Aug 9 22:41:14 MDT 2005

Dear Buddha-L,

	"What is more clear is that a modern Buddhist
	has no real alternative to thinking
	of Mount Meru in purely mythic terms
	rather than as a geographical
						reality"

--I would meet him 3/4 of the way but say that there are ways in which
modern people can MAKE themselves understand/experience a particular
mountain as "the center of the world." They can center their world
around that mountain, just as the cavalier fellow in the Stevens poem
"Anecdote of the Jar" makes the jar central (and thus at least a wee bit
sacred). One could say "practice makes mythic," insofar as it restores
aura. And if it didn't, why would anyone do it.

I'm thinking in particular of Rbt Thurman as he appears in CIRCLING THE
SACRED MOUNTAIN.

Here is the Stevens poem:

I placed a jar in Tennessee,
And round it was, upon a hill.