[Buddha-l] beliefs

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Thu Aug 11 02:48:23 MDT 2005

Fort, Andrew schreef:

>One of Richard's posts reminded me how perplexing I find it, when I really reflect, to understand what someone means when they say they "believe" or "believe in" something.  The meanings are so multivalent and elusive.  But now, as they say, I believe I'll have a sandwich.  Andy Fort

This is a tough one indeed. I'll give you my two cents, just to get some
clarity myself. Sartre once wrote that belief includes an aspect of
uncertainty, but this only holds for facts. When someone asks me if it
will rain tomorrow, I can answer: 'I believe so'. If someone asks me if
I really love her, this is not the kind of answere that makes her happy.
But when I say 'I believe in you' or 'I believe in the Lord' this
element of uncertainty is suddenly positive. Appearantly because the
uncertainty is taken for granted. Belief in this way becomes a token of
solidarity and an indication of loyalty. If it's solidated we call it
'faith'. This is a loyalty which I cannot change,  which is tied up with
my very existence. This loyalty is supposed to include the conviction
that the person in question is a good person. But it's also a loyalty to
the group of cobelievers and becomes a form of tribalism. Related to
faith is devotion, which is a kind of submissiveness. A puja is a series
of signs of devotion, it creates an atmosphere of protective and benign
power. Signs of faith create a sphere of togetherness, like in a
pentecostal church. Faith can in monotheïstic religions also create a
more tribal feeling of solidarity with other brothers and sisters of the
virtual tribe.
The confusion comes from the fact that people disguise there feelings
behind truthclaims, but no one wants the truth. The history of texts and
holy persons is wellknown, but ignored. No one wants to know the real
story about God and no one expects scientist to show a map of the
universe with galaxies, black holes and the seat of God. Angels have
wings, but why? Is there any air in heaven? Should't they wear rocketmotors?

Question: which of these feelings are kushala and which akushala in Buddhism?

Erik