[Buddha-l] sanskrit self-study

Richard P. Hayes Richard.P.Hayes at comcast.net
Thu Aug 11 10:03:47 MDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 10:47 -0400, curt wrote:

> Does anyone have any recommendations for books that are good for
> Sanskrit self-study?

Excellent but expensive and not always available is Walter Maurer's The
Sanskrit Language. I think it is the best book I have ever taught from,
and I think it would also be good for someone learning without a
teacher. (Remember the dictum "A student who teaches himself has a fool
for a teacher.") Also good, but rather technical despite its name, is
Michael Coulson's Teach Yourself Sanskrit. Readily available but rather
difficult for most people (and exhaustingly pretentious) is Robert
Goldman's Devamanipravesikam. (Who but a showy pedant would give a
Sanskrit name to an introductory Sanskrit textbook?)

--
Richard Hayes