[Buddha-l] Non-Dual Awareness, continued.

Whitney Bodman wbodman at austinseminary.edu
Thu Aug 11 12:15:10 MDT 2005

Hans Gruenig's comment on the " Radiant, Mirror Like, Seamless Like
Space" reminds me of something I saw in Bodhgaya this past January.
Outside the central shrine, a number of practitioners, apparently both
ordained and lay, were sitting with what appeared to be upturned pots.
They would cast a handful of pebbles on the metal surface, contemplate
it for a moment, then clear it away, then repeat the process.
I wondered if this might be a meditative practice of polishing the
mirror and recognizing defilements.  It made sense to me, but that may
just be my overactive imagination at work.
Does anybody know something about this practice?

Thanks,

Whit

Whitney S. Bodman
Ass't Prof. of World Religions
Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary
100 E. 27th St.
Austin, TX  78705
512  404-4835
wbodman at austinseminary.edu