[Buddha-l] sanskrit self-study

Richard P. Hayes Richard.P.Hayes at comcast.net
Tue Aug 16 19:50:14 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 17:09 -0700, Ashok Aklujkar wrote:

> The 2005 edition of SEL will be available for sale in about one week. It consists of two
> physical volumes (1: Tools Grammatical and Lexical, pages 462. 2: Tests and
> Transition , pages 180; total pages 642) and five 90-minute cassettes (total
> recording minutes about 450).

That sounds good. When Katherine Young was teaching from it at McGill a
few years back, she mentioned that students complained about having to
carry several bulky volumes around with them all day. As I recall, the
copy of SEL that I have was in three or four volumes then. If that
recollection is correct, you have apparently consolidated the operation
somewhat. It's a wonderful textbook, so I hope it will be available
after your retire. (Alas, it saddens me to think of what a loss to
Sanskrit pedagogy and to Indian studies in general your eventual
retirement will bring; this is the down side of impermanence.)

Thanks for announcing your summer course for 2006. I personally think
that summer is the ideal time to begin Sanskrit, because the intensity
of the schedule helps concentrate one's efforts.

--
Richard Hayes