[Buddha-l] Buddhist Bioethics

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sat Aug 20 11:25:07 MDT 2005

I sympathize with this predicament, as I know of another similar case. The
mother of a Chinese woman friend had a similar stroke and is in a nursing
home in coma.  I don't know the latest medical review, but it seems that she
is not going to recover from the coma, and/or if she did her life would not
be much of a life, she might not even have all her marbles. Her daughter is
not a Buddhist, sheis even an theist, but she's strongly governed by
Confucian ethics of filial piety, and so she will not ask the medical staff
to remove the tubes and oxygen tank. She will just continue to pay for her
mother's care.

In S.E.Asia (Vietnam in this case) as in China, both Buddhism and Confucian
ethics are strong within the kin groups. S.E.Asians often say that "we are
Buddhists" but what they don't say is that they are also Confucianists. Even
if they are not aware of it, it's a strong part of the cultural ethics.
Thus, the hospital has a double whammy of culture to deal with.

My guess is that even if some Buddhist construction could be found to allay
their dread of allowing the patient to die, the shame engendered by filial
piety would prevent it as an ethical resort. For everyone's sake I hope a
way out can be found. Perhaps something helpful could be found in discourses
on Confucian ethics.

Best wishes,
Joanna Kirkpatrick