[Buddha-l] life force vis a vis Buddhism

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sat Aug 20 16:38:21 MDT 2005

Hilarious conclusion.

Yes, you have exposed my ignorance on matters metaphysical.
I always thought that metaphysics was the study or "science" (?) of
something referred to as ultimate reality......final principles and all
that.
Now that you've told me it's about a lot of other things as well--existence,
absence, causal theories, possibility, necessity and theory of truth --which
I had somehow learned (?) were other fields in philosophy, I reject
my statement on Buddhism and metaphysics. But is it not the case
that the Buddha refused to discuss final principles or ultimate reality?
His reasons as you stated them I agree with.
But somehow it seems to me that some later Buddhist schools
smuggled ultimate reality back in. Not?

Ok, I don't wish to belabor this failing of mine as I can see it
could open cans of small penguins...so I will just go with my mystification
at the life force and leave it at that. In any case, maybe the Zoroastrians
were right---the evil force is trying to devour the life force. They
believe that the evil force will not win, but I am as dubious on that
account
as you are.

"How on earth can
> anyone honestly think that penguins and their two-footed cousins, human
> beings, are the work of an intelligent creator?"
       You got me!!
"Indeed, some of the
> vinaya rules are testimony to his having a remarkable amount of concern
> for how people affect the world of animals, insects and plants."
Hmmmm....I must read the vinaya--------keep putting it off, so I should shut
my trap about the Buddha and our natural world until I read it.

Joanna