[Buddha-l] Zen War Guilt/Zen and the Sword

Jim Peavler jpeavler at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 23 09:09:48 MDT 2005

On Aug 23, 2005, at 8:01 AM, curt wrote:

>  In that context I would suggest that there
> is absolutely nothing extraordinary about the complicity of the
> Buddhist (not just Zen) establishment in the sins of Japanese
> Empire. Where has Buddhism ever set itself up as a center of
> opposition to an unjust political regime?

This, of course, is not addressing Stephen Hopkins' question, which was
asking for information about the "current state of play in regard to
Japanese Buddhist recognition of their role in WW2 (and other
conflicts), and in regard to the vexed question of the evolution of the
relationship of Zen and the sword?" (Not that your response needs to
answer his question.)

> The reason why this is such an "issue" is that the generation of
> naive hippies who adopted Zen in the 60's and 70's projected
> their own half-baked pacifistic delusions onto their newfound
> Religion - without ever bothering to check whether or not there
> was any basis in reality for this assumption (but that is the nature
> of projection and delusion, is it not?).

I am sorry, but this doesn't seem to hold water, for me anyway. We knew
of the associations between Japanese Zen and war (Hopkins alludes to it
by mentioning DT Suzuki and Zen and the Sword), from, not only DT
Suzuki, but from prominent Zennists who had actually been, themselves,
victims of the Japanese at war (The famous -- in the West, at least --
Diamond Sangha is a direct result of the experience of its founder as a
prisoner of the Japanese during World War II. So, yes, we HAD heard of
World War II, and Zen culpability in lending itself to Samari warriors
and to modern Japanese empire-building warfare were well known and
often discussed.  Hopkins is asking, I think, if anyone knows of any
recent books that give more modern insights than DT Suzuki's work (and
its subject), which, I think is approaching its 100th birthday.

I am sorry to admit that I don't know of any. There is a list of links
to "apologies" at
http://political-apologies.wlu.ca/searchresults.php?
searchtype=simple&keywords=Zen%20at%20War however.