[Buddha-l] Zen War Guilt/Zen and the Sword and Korean Skeletons

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Aug 23 19:54:12 MDT 2005

Thank you for this note. This caused me to do a little
more digging. Syngman (now I know that is the way
its usually spelled in English) Rhee's "contribution"
to Korean Buddhism was to favor the "Chogye"
order over the the "Taego" - the Chogye claiming
to be upholders of "traditional" Korean Buddhism -
their main claim to fame being that Chogye monks
are celibate (although they aren't really - they just
aren't allowed to get married, but it is not uncommon
for them to have girlfriends) - while the Taego order
continues the practice "introduced" (to put it nicely)
by the Japanese during the occupation, of having married
priests. I had been under the impression that Rhee's support
of the Chogye order was motivated by a desire to use
"traditional Korean Buddhism" as part of his attempt to
shore up popular support for himself as a nationalist.
But now it looks to me more like he was intentionally
goading the rival Buddhist factions to fight each other
in order to weaken Buddhism. My grandteacher was
a big-shot in the Chogye order - so Rhee's support of
the Chogye order (to the extent that it is talked about)
is seen by them as having been a good thing - but maybe,
or maybe even probably, it was a bad thing for Korean
Buddhism.

Do you think it is fair to say that the Chogye order is
generally allied to the conservative political forces that
supported both Syngman Rhee and Park Chung Hee?
Oh, and even though Rhee wasn't a "military" dicatator,
he did declare martial law once right before an election
(which, surprise, he won) - so that almost counts.

- Curt