[Buddha-l] Zen War Guilt/Zen and the Sword

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Aug 24 10:51:13 MDT 2005

One tangential connection (but a connection nevertheless) might be via
the Fuke sect. What I know about this connection only consists of just-
so stories about Ronin who were members of the Fuke order. Some of
the things that are often mentioned in these stories are:
(1) The wandering members of the Fuke order were often employed
as spies.
(2) The shakuhachi flute actually made a pretty good weapon. The
insistence on using bamboo root-end to make the flute is sometimes
associated with the desire to have a nice strong weapon rather than
any particular musical qualities of this kind of wood.
(3) The wandering and anonymous character of the Fuke monks -
who often had their faces hidden by baskets that they carried over
their heads, provided a good "cover" for masterless samurai and
other suspicious characters.

The Fuke order goes back to the 12th century, and was introduced
into Japan from China - although I don't know of any claims that
the order was associated with warriors in China. What I am saying
here doesn't amount to any real evidence of a connection between
Zen and the Samurai predating the Meiji period - but it is one place
to look before concluding that these connections are mostly or purely
mythological.

- Curt