[Buddha-l] Zen War Guilt/Zen and the Sword

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 25 17:54:36 MDT 2005

Stephen et al.,

Nice quote from Downing's book. This issue of the potential negative
effects of meditation ("in some ways it cauterizes the personality and
seals it off, encapsulates it") has (at last) been getting some
attention in psychological studies of Buddhist practice. Meditators can
and do use meditation and other aspects of Buddhist practice as
defenses against psychological insight and movement. Chapters in the
following two books explore this:

Molino, Anthony. ed. 1999. _The Couch and the Tree: Dialogues between
Psychoanalysis and Buddhism_. San Francisco: North Point. (Michael
Eigen's chapter is particularly creepy.)

Safran, Jeremy D., ed. 2003. _Psychoanalysis and Buddhism: An Unfolding
Dialogue_. Boston: Wisdom.

Dan Capper's book, _Guru Devotion and the American Buddhist Experience_
(2002, New York: Edward Mellon Press), contains nuanced examinations of
American practitioners' experience of both the negative and the
positive power of meditation (though in the Tibetan tradition, not the
Zen one).

Robert Sharf concluded an article (can't now remember which one;
doesn't seem to have been "Whose Zen?" or "Sanbokyodan Zen") with a
critique of contemporary Western Zen practice as fundamentally
narcissistic: that we are so fascinated with "exotic" Zen practice
precisely because it *appears* to come from the "mystic East," but is,
in fact, a hybrid concoction heavily indebted to Western romanticism,
psychologizing, etc. We are in love with our own reflection--but then,
who isn't? (We don't need Said to teach us this, do we?)

There are some pretty hard hitting articles on Zen in the "Critical
Zen" section of thezensite.com:

http://www.thezensite.com/zenessays.html

Two of the Sharf articles I mentioned (and on which Loy draws heavily
in the paper Stephen kindly sent us the url for) are there. Finally, if
you'd like to read something on Zen written by a man who has worked
hard to wave goodbye to Narcissus, check out three papers on Western
Zen by Stuart Lachs, an esteemed buddha-l denizen, online at:

http://terebess.hu/english/lachs.html

Trying to avert my eyes,

Franz Metcalf