[Buddha-l] Chinese Zen connections with the martial arts

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at adelphia.net
Fri Aug 26 11:16:49 MDT 2005

The connection between Chinese Zen or Ch'an and the empty-hand martial
arts seems to be mostly myth (i.e., the 6th century Bodhidharma connection).

I had a graduate student many years ago who wanted to work on the
connection with Chinese Ch'an and the martial arts for his project.
He was certain that Bodhidharma had brought Indian fighting skills to
China.
I don't recall the specific details, but if my memory is not failing me,
after several years of research his conclusion was that the empty handed
fighting style of the Shaolin monks begins somewhere in the 14th or 15th
centuries, and at that time, the Shaolin monastery was Taoist.
The conclusion: Taoist longevity exercises were the origins of these,
and the connection with Ch'an wasn't until a whole lot later. There was
zero evidence to support the popular Bodhidharma-Shaolin myth.
I'm sure other members of this group have more accurate research which
they can share with us.
Bob Zeuschner
Dept. of Philosophy