[Buddha-l] Buddhist Bioethics

Hugo eklektik at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 12:10:16 MDT 2005

Hello Erik,

On 8/20/05, Erik Hoogcarspel <jehms at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> I don't see any reason why Buddhism would prohibit stopping the life
> support. The Buddha himself silently agreed to arhants taking their own
> life, and even maybe having themselves killed by others.

Could you please point out which suttas you are referring to?

The Vinaya explicitely forbids those two scenarios:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/vinaya/bhikkhu-pati.html#1

3. Should any bhikkhu intentionally deprive a human being of life, or
search for an assassin for him, or praise the advantages of death, or
incite him to die (thus): "My good man, what use is this wretched,
miserable life to you? Death would be better for you than life," or
with such an idea in mind, such a purpose in mind, should in various
ways praise the advantages of death or incite him to die, he also is
defeated and no longer in communion.

--
Hugo