[Buddha-l] Zen War Guilt/Zen and the Sword

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Aug 26 15:09:11 MDT 2005

There is an old programmers adage: "garbage in, garbage out."
The beauty of that old chestnut is that it is always true, whether
the software is designed properly or not. It has been pointed out
by others (see for example:
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/g/garbage_in_garbage_out.html
that this is true of "all systems", not just computer software.

Interestingly, the wikipedia article on "GIGO" says this:
"It was most popular in the early days of computing, but has fallen out
of use as programs have become more sophisticated and now usually
have checks built in to reject improper input."
I think that pretty much sums up the problem with Zen, and other
forms of demanding, practice oriented spiritual paths - the problem
being a lack of "checking" for "improper input". Perhaps
the western Zen love affair with the idea of "beginners mind" has
been a mistake - maybe Zen is not for "beginners". But the real
problem is that it is very difficult (I think impossible) to reliably
"check" human beings and objectively evaluate them in terms of
their "readiness" for Zen. And perhaps it really isn't necessary.
All whinging aside, people pretty much sort themselves out. There
are in fact good Zen teachers around, and plenty of sincere, mature
Zen students. Which reminds me of another saying from the sciences
that might be applicable: like attracts like.

- Curt