[Buddha-l] Crazy Wisdom

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 5 00:16:04 MST 2005

Richard et al.,

Thanks, Richard, for the "Refuge of the Roads" lyrics. I didn't know
that song. It surely does sound like Joni Mitchell was writing about
Trungpa. I didn't know she was even sympathetic to Buddhism, let alone
a practitioner. But you wrote that she "considers him [Trungpa] one of
the most important Zen teachers in a life of Zen practice." Are you
being intentionally ironic here? Or are you pointing to some underlying
affinity between Zen and whatever we're supposed to categorize
Trungpa's practice as? On that subject, I have it on good authority
that Maezumi Roshi was a real fan of Trungpa and very much enjoyed
their time [boozing] together.

You also wrote, you wish that Mitchell and Leonard Cohen would make an
album together. I like that a bit more than Tom Waits and Diana Ross,
but those are both excellent ideas. My wish is that Laurie Anderson and
Lou Reed would make an album together. Since this is not unreasonable,
I'm vaguely annoyed at the both of them that they haven't.

BTW: in case anyone wants to follow it up, the magazine "Zero" was
published by Joshu Sasaki Roshi's organization, not ZCLA.

Glad you and Yusuf Islam are getting over your anti-music periods,

Franz