[Buddha-l] crazy wisdom

Thomas Fink yuenfink at aol.com
Tue Dec 6 10:36:28 MST 2005

One of the interesting things about this thread is how some facts by
second hand knowledge turn into fiction and how for instance things
that happened in GB now happened in North America. One really gets a
feeling how history is constructed. Like Bowie. As far as I know, Bowie
had/has a brother who was seriously interested in Buddhism. Some or one
time they went together to Samye Ling, the place in Scotland, where at
this time Chögyam Trungpa and Akong had been the teachers. Around this
time, again in GB, Trungpas car accident happened. He was driving into
a toy shop. Like the car accident of Guirdjeff it marked a complete
change in his way of teaching. In Trungpas case it was putting off the
robes, getting away from Samye Ling and into the States teaching in a
Hawaii shirt.
The change from Hawaii shirt to suit with tie is another story. A story
partly told in "The Mahasiddha and his idiot servant" by "Major" John
Perks. Regarding the facts, the Major is not completely reliable but he
is a great storyteller. The ones who are allready illminded about
Trungpa Rinpoche will of course get more fuel for their opinions. But
the rest will get a real taste of the crazyness, the sanity and the
humour of this force called Chögyam Trungpa.
Another interesting source regarding Chögyam Trungpa is the latest Zen
book from Janwillem van de Wetering. The german title is >Reine Leere<.
I believe in english it is called >A Glimpse of Nothingness<. There is
a complete chapter about Chögyam Trungpa. The name is never mentioned,
but it is clear that Wetering knew Trungpa from GB. His point of view
and knowledge about the car accident and the alcohol I found quite
insightfull.
By the way, when Trungpa had his car accident and changed his way of
teaching Akong Rinpoche and a lot of other tibetan teachers thought
that Trungpa Rinpoche really went crazy. I heard that the late Akong
said in a meeting something like that he needed a long time to realize
that he had to show his western students his real face and that Trungpa
was not only showing them his real face but that he was tearing down
his flesh to let them see whats inside.

Thomas Fink