[Buddha-l] new translation Naagaarjuna

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Dec 17 15:45:11 MST 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-17 at 21:29 +0100, Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

> Of what I hear my translation and commentary is a bit
> more clear and down to the earth than others, sometimes I've choosen
> clearity over literacy.

I look forward to reading your translation. If one has to choose,
clarity should win out over literalism any day. Of course, when one is
translating a badly written text (such as one by Dharmakiirti), clarity
may not capture the original text very well. But Nagarjuna is one of the
clearest writers in Indian Buddhism, so one needn't worry about
misrepresenting him by making him more clear than he was in the
original.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy