[Buddha-l] A ltter concerning toleration

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Jun 1 05:27:44 MDT 2005

Denizens of buddha-l,

The following letter has been sent to the chair of my
department. Perhaps others of you would like to join our
friend in discussing my qualifications. Otherwise, enjoy
the letter as an interesting sign of our times.

Cordinally (and moderately) yours,
Richard Hayes

\begin{letter}
Mr../Prof Goodman,

    My name is Mr. Lane and I am a member of of list
called Buddha-L. I am writing about the outrageous
behavior of Richard Hayes. He constantly posts rabidly
anti-American posts, anti-Christian and if you believe Dan
Lusthaus anti-Jewish. He has called Dan Lusthaus a war
mongering pinhead. His anti-Americanism is not loyal
opposition but outright treason. He blamed the U.S. for
Sept 11 justifying the attacks as the result justifiable
anger. He has said it is the U.S. that is the cause of all
the trouble in the world "as we are the oppressors". He
seemed to anticipate happily the fall of the U.S. yet we
never hear a peep out of him about the evils that occur in
the P.R.C or the Islamic counties.

    Mr.. Hayes constantly belittles Buddhist sutras he
does not agree with (the Lotus Sutra) and feels it is O.K.
He has ridiculed the Hua-Yen and T'ien T'ai which many
people feel are the highest level of Buddhist thought. Mr.
Hayes feels it is totally appropriate to slander any
religious doctrine he does not agree with or understand
but when somebody posts something contrary to his beliefs
he either blocks it or responds with a personal attack.

    Mr. Hayes is a translator but fancies himself a
Buddhist scholar. From what I have seen he has yet to
understand one Mahayana doctrine which in and of itself is
no crime, however given the Mahayana and its non-dualist
doctrines are religious beliefs of millions I do not not
see any difference between his mocking non-dualism and
anybody slandering Christianity. Judaism or Islam. Mr.
Hayes has no clue of the difference between monism and
non-dualism but I understand that you will be letting him
teach a course on Hui-Neng and the Platform Sutra, is that
true? If so you might as well let him teach a course in
quantum mechanics as his understanding of the two is about
the same. (Incidentally Hayes went through a whole tirade
about relating quantum mechanics and Buddhism only later
to admit he knows nothing about QM at all). This of course
is classic Hayes M.O. try and ridicule anything he is
incapable of understanding. Yes I have personally attacked
him on Buddha-L as he has attacked me. Apparently he
thinks the latter is fine but not the former.

   Mr. Hayes is a self professed former Communist (I have
grave doubts about the former part - I believe in one of
his recent e-mails he described himself as a Marxist
Quaker). I don't believe Communists or former Communists
should be teaching young people in this country any more
than I would accept a Nazi or former Nazi teaching
teaching them. After all we are talking about a party that
has slaughtered over 100 million people in the twentieth
century. I wonder who his role model is Stalin, Mao or Pol
Pot.

     Despite all of this I still would not be writing
about Hayes if he believed in free speech but of course
what (former) Communist does. To that end I am asking for
the names of all of your superiors in the university, the
state government and any persons important in private
funding of the university so that I may forward them his
outrageous e-mails. I think we should see if these people
agree with my opinion that (former) Communists should not
be teaching young people. Mr. Hayes will of course deny
all of the above but remind him that I have all Buddha-L
e-mails going back to 1998 backed up in three different
places.

  Sincerely yours,
  Mr. Lane
\end{letter}