[Buddha-l] A letter concerning toleration

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Jun 2 09:04:17 MDT 2005

I think that the "Hindutva" pheonomenon is somewhat more complex.
In part it is a legitimate response to "cultural imperialism" - ie, Western
intellectuals establishing an "accepted" view of all things Indian -
without much input from said Indians. But even that isn't really true
because one of the people that the Hindutvas get the most worked up
about is Romila Thapar, who is Indian. But she is, according to the
Hindutvas, a "Marxist" - which is, of course, a non-Indian ideology,
and so even thought she is Indian she represents an infiltration of
non-Indian ideas into the Indian intelligentsia, or something like that.
But the critique of Thapar and "Marxism" is not without some merit -
because there is a tendency for scholars to crudely misapply a deeply
ingrained cultural critique of all religions that is really only applicable
to Christianity. Even scholars who aren't Marxists often act like they
are when talking about religion (the opiate of the people and all that).

A fascinating window into the intellectual world of Hindu "revivalism",
or what the western media and the Indian secularists have labeled as
"fundamentalism" is the writings of David Frawley.

- Curt