[Buddha-l] Retreats, and fundraising for retreat centres, etc

Bernie Simon bsimon at toad.net
Fri Jun 3 17:22:49 MDT 2005

SM> Can anyone familiar with this school of thought explain this
concept of
SM> why "emptiness" justifies the construction of stupas, mega prayer
wheels
SM> etc (whether or not they agree)?

My guess is the reasoning goes something like this:

Understanding emptiness is understanding cause and effect, as
Chandrakirti explained
Understanding cause and effect is understanding karma
Understanding karma impels one to practice virtuous deeds and avoid
unvirtuous deeds
Building stupas is a virtuous deed

Therefore, someone who understands emptiness will build stupas

QED (not really)

----
and it hurts a lot
but it's missed when it's gone