[Buddha-l] Re: Spread of Buddhism

zelders.YH zelders.yh at wxs.nl
Sun Jun 5 17:49:36 MDT 2005

Joanna Kirk wrote :

>I'd suggest that as Christianity was spreading to Japan via the Portuguese
>and later Dutch and English merchant ships during the period of European
>exploration, ..

Well, the Portuguese - or rather the Jesuits - were succesful at first in
their missionary activities in Japan, but all that ended in a bloody
massacre of Japanese converts, and they were kicked out in 1640.  For more
than two hundred years after that the Dutch were the only Europeans in
direct contact with Japan, but they were confined to a trading post in
Nagasaki harbour. One of the strict conditions for their stay was that they
would not try to win over Japanese to the Christian faith. As a matter of
fact that wasn't their first concern. Making money was.

>I have a hunch that the Portuguese and the Dutch governments also supported
>the missonizing that accompanied the trading ships to China and Japan.

It wasn't the Dutch government who sent out the trading ships but a company
of private entrepreneurs, the V.O.C. or Dutch East India Company, that had
trading posts on nearly every Asian coast.

Herman Zelders