[Buddha-l] More Buddhist angels?

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Mon Jun 6 09:09:00 MDT 2005

> Dear Joanna, dear all,
>
> having a short look at Marshall, Buddhist Art of
> Gandhara (Cambridge 1960, Re-printed
> in Pakistan at the Anjuman Press, Karachi) I found
> quite a number of winged "angels":
>
> figs. 21, 22: Inscribed brackets (nagadantas) in form
> of a winged deva from Sirkap
> figs. 23-25: ditto, from Kunala and Dharmarajika
> figs. 145,146: similar: winged atlants
> fig. 148: frieze of garland with winged figures from
> Kalawan.
>
> There must be many more sculptures like these ---
> unfortunately I do not
> have all the publications (Foucher, Ingholt,
> Rosenfield, Faccenna, etc.) at hand to
> check it out.
>
> Best,
> Volker
Hi Volker,
Yes, as I pointed out early in the  Buddhist angel discussion,
Gandhara is where winged figures do appear.......winged deities
and animals entered Greek art via Persian influence, and thus
the winged deity idea was conveyed to the Gandhara area and artists,
as it was originally ruled by Greeks. At least this is how I "got" it,
but perhaps this idea has undergone revision?
Best
Joanna