[Buddha-l] Re: Spread of Buddhism

Bill Kish wdkish81 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 7 10:57:19 MDT 2005

Richard Hayes:

> If someone insists that the epitome of Dharma is Fazang or
> Tsong ha pa or Dogen, then only highly specialized scholars
> will be qualified to study Dharma.

I take issue with the "only" in "only highly specialized scholars",
at least with respect to Je Tsongkhapa.  There is certainly much
in his collected works that is impenetrable without an extensive
knowledge of Indian and Tibetan Buddhist scholasticism, but in my
experience his lam rim texts, as well as some of his poems and
letters, were written in a way that allows the essential points of
the Buddhist path to be straightforwardly put into practice by a
very broad class of practitioners.

> "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for every one, to believe
> anything upon insufficient evidence."  -- William Clifford

Did Clifford intend the above statement to be taken seriously ?
If so, I am curious what evidence he provided to justify such a
strong knowledge claim.

---------
Bill Kish