[Buddha-l] 8 Freedoms and 10 Favorable Circumstances

Hal Cooper halc at xprt.net
Fri Jun 10 14:24:09 MDT 2005

Denizens,

I am looking at The Songs of  Khakhyap Dorje from a book titled The Rain of
Wisdom. It was published by Shambala back in 1980.

One passage goes like this:

"These naive words are like the buzzing of a bee.
Although they irritate the ears of the father jetsun,
Your son, with overwhelming longing,
Offers this song of nonsense words; please think of me with compassion.

In general, this body endowed with the eight freedoms and the ten favorable
circumstances
Is more excellent than the Wish-fulfilling Gem.
Obtaining this body,
I know it to be the power of unperverted merit."

What are the Eight freedoms and The Ten Favorable Circumstances?  Are these
lists particular to Tibetan Buddhism? So, is it saying this human rebirth is
more excellent than a Gem that could grant any wish?  Human rebirth trumps
the Wish-fulfilling Gem.