[Buddha-l] Re: Ekottara Agama

dhammanando at csloxinfo.com dhammanando at csloxinfo.com
Sun Jun 12 09:18:22 MDT 2005

Bill Kish:

> Does anyone know if the Ekottara Aagama has an equivalent
> somewhere in the Paali Canon, and whether there is an
> English translation for it (either from the Aagama, or from
> the Nikaaya source if it exists) ?

Its equivalent is the Anguttara Nikaaya, of which the PTS
translation is entitled the _Book of Gradual Sayings_ (5
vols. E.M. Hare & F.L. Woodward, 1932-6). There is also a
three-booklet Anguttara anthology published by the Buddhist
Publication Society of Kandy. Bhikkhu Bodhi is currently
working on a new translation of the whole collection.

As for the Ekottaraagama, I vaguely recall hearing of some
project to translate this and the other Aagamas, but I don't
know any details about it.

Best wishes,

Dhammanando