[Buddha-l] Contemporary Tibet

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Sun Jun 19 06:52:06 MDT 2005

In message <42B5448D.8030607 at xs4all.nl>, Erik Hoogcarspel
<jehms at xs4all.nl> writes
>Mike Austin schreef:
>
>> In message <42B3CB28.7040200 at xs4all.nl>, Erik Hoogcarspel
>><jehms at xs4all.nl> writes

>>> This is hypocrite crap of the worst kind, devotion. Who has no
>>>opinion of his own just should keep his mouth shut. If the D.L. has
>>>an opinion, but hasn't the guts to speak up, he's just week. Nobody
>>>benefits from hearing sweet talk and lies.
>>

>> Oh dear, Erik. Unless you can offer some cogent explanation of what
>>this 'hypocrite crap' is and how you identify it from what I wrote,
>>one could surmise that a little crap has found its way into your own eyes.
>>
>Simple: your words express that you know for sure the exact nature of
>the DL's intentions and that those intentions are an unchanging thing.
>This is not backed up by logic or scientific inverstigation, but by
>dogmatic belief. Expressing these words have a twofold purpose: to
>spread this dogamtic belief and to make yourself look good.
>I think it's just naïve and hypocritical to think that someone can
>always and from every perspective be pure good and without faults in
>this world. This the consequence of relativism or emptiness.

Just as I thought, Erik. I wrote none of those things. You accuse me of
knowing things that I couldn't possibly know, and in the same paragraph
you say things that you couldn't possibly know. If one points a finger,
there are three fingers pointing back at oneself.

I find that positive attitudes to others help me to reduce dukka, while
acknowledging that I don't actually know anything for certain. This is,
to my mind, a pragmatic way of dealing with things. If I want to 'know'
how things really are, I don't create obstacles of disturbing emotions.
That, I think, would ensure failure.  I find negative attitudes towards
others disturb my peace of mind, and of no benefit whatsoever.

--
Metta
Mike Austin