[Buddha-l] Re: Mahayana taught by the Buddha?

Bruce Burrill brburl at mailbag.com
Mon Jun 20 17:52:17 MDT 2005

At 04:45 PM 6/20/2005, you wrote:
>one can still sense a certain amount of tension
>between some historians and some Buddhists.

Tension is an under statement. On E-sangha, former Buddha-L resident
Namdrol's (aka Malcolm Smith) present place of residence, I once innocently
referred to the composition of Mahayana sutras and I was severely abused by
the Mahayana literalist/fundamentalists, and never mind that I would also
refer to the composition of the Pali suttas. Where do these people think
these sutras come from? Divine revelation, no doubt.

Despite its numerous failings Paul Williams' book, BUDDHIST THOUGHT, gives
an excellent discussion of the origins of the Mahayana, though it will
hardly be satisfying to those whose faith is grounded in a literalism. As
Gombrich subtitled his excellent book, HOW BUDDHISM BEGAN, "The Conditioned
Genesis of the Early [and we may add: Middle and Late] Teachings"; that
seems to be the truth of the matter.