[Buddha-l] Re: Mahayana taught by the Buddha?

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Mon Jun 20 20:12:12 MDT 2005

This is a false dichotomy. If you do not understand any
mathematics at all, then you would not be able to DO
any mathematics at all - and if you understood all mathematics
you could DO it all, too. The thing is that mathematics is
so powerful that just understanding a little allows one to
do a lot - so we are tempted to try to find the minimal amount
of mathematics that will allow us to get by - this temptation
is further exacerbated by the generally very poor quality of
mathematics instruction that is available at every level - from
grade school through graduate school. The thing that is so often
forgotten is that mathematics is beautiful - and it is only once
you've been seduced by that beauty that you can learn it for its
own sake - rather than trying very hard to not learn any more
than absolutely necessary in order to DO something.

The same is true of Buddhism - word for word, in my opinion.

- Curt