[Buddha-l] Re: New trans. of poetry of the Sixth DL

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Fri Jun 24 22:27:10 MDT 2005

........ Toward that end I have been enjoying the writings of Steven
> Pinker of late. One of these days I may start some discussions about his
> work and the implications of his writings for Western Buddhists.
>
> --
> Richard Hayes
> http://www.unm.edu/~rhayes
==============================
Not knowing who Pinker is, I checked with amazon and found this blurb for
his recent book, _The Blank Slate : The Denial of Human Nature and Modern
Intellectual Life_, that might help to clarify what he's up to:

>From Publishers Weekly
In his last outing, How the Mind Works, the author of the well-received The
Language Instinct made a case for evolutionary psychology or the view that
human beings have a hard-wired nature that evolved over time. This book
returns to that still-controversial territory in order to shore it up in the
public sphere. Drawing on decades of research in the "sciences of human
nature," Pinker, a chaired professor of psychology at MIT, attacks the
notion that an infant's mind is a blank slate, arguing instead that human
beings have an inherited universal structure shaped by the demands made upon
the species for survival, albeit with plenty of room for cultural and
individual variation. For those who have been following the sciences in
question including cognitive science, neuroscience, behavioral genetics and
evolutionary psychology much of the evidence will be familiar, yet Pinker's
clear and witty presentation, complete with comic strips and allusions to
writers from Woody Allen to Emily Dickinson, keeps the material fresh. What
might amaze is the persistent, often vitriolic resistance to these findings
Pinker presents and systematically takes apart, decrying the hold of the
"blank slate" and other orthodoxies on intellectual life. He goes on to tour
what science currently claims to know about human nature, including its
cognitive, intuitive and emotional faculties, and shows what light this
research can shed on such thorny topics as gender inequality, child-rearing
and modern art. Pinker's synthesizing of many fields is impressive but
uneven, especially when he ventures into moral philosophy and religion;
examples like "Even Hitler thought he was carrying out the will of God"
violate Pinker's own principle that one should not exploit Nazism "for
rhetorical clout." For the most part, however, the book is persuasive and
illuminating.
Copyright 2002 Cahners Business Information, Inc.