[Buddha-l] S. Pinker (linguist, cognitive psychologist)

Bruce G. Seidner Ph.D. bseidner at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 26 20:29:32 MDT 2005

Lots of folks have taken on Chomsky-like idealism. One of my favorites was
Herbert Terrace who debunked the claims of "nurturing" an ape to use
American Sign Language in the case of Nim Chimpsky.

I too wish I were not saddled with the Karma of a body that becomes sick,
old, and dies all too soon.

I can imagine lots of alternatives.

Bruce

At 09:32 PM 6/26/2005, you wrote:
>On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 09:47 -0500, Timothy C. Cahill wrote:
>
> > Pinker is now at Harvard.
>
>I was wondering about that. There are a lot of stale pages on the
>Internet. I did see one reference to his being at Harvard but thought it
>might be a visiting professorship. (I couldn't help wondering whether
>Harvard was paying for his commuting costs.)
>
> > I happened to notice his statement of support
> > for their president in the recent squabble and subsequent
> > (non-binding) faculty vote of no-confidence.
>
>That would be consistent with his stance in <cite>The Blank
>Slate,<\cite> in which he says that saying that ANYTHING may be
>genetically inherited rather than culturally conditioned will bring on
>the academic Thought Police. He cites ample evidence that numerous
>people across the country have almost been drummed out of the corps for
>even suggesting as one of several hypotheses that certain abilities (or
>lacks thereof) might have genetics as a factor. It has become, he
>claims, a taboo hypothesis.
>
> > Language lovers at M.I.T. must have been enthralled when Pinker began
> > taking on Chomsky!
>
>One of my colleagues, trained in linguistics at MIT, frequently says
>that linguistics has stopped being a science and has become a dogmatic
>personality cult built around Chomsky. This colleague has used Pinker's
>book in his introductory linguistics course, much to the horror of his
>colleagues, all of whom are True Believers in whatever Chomsky has said
>in his most recent publication.
>
>--
>Richard Hayes
>***
>"If you want the truth, rather than merely something to say,
>you will have a good deal less to say." -- Thomas Nagel

Bruce G. Seidner, Ph.D.                                 1111 Northshore Drive
Clinical & Forensic Psychology                                  Ste S-490
Family Mediation                                                Knoxville,
TN 37919

865.584.0171 office
865.584.0174 fax
bseidner at earthlink.net

The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual
and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination
or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information
by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please contact the sender
and delete the material from any computer.