[Buddha-l] Re: Texas liberals (death penalty)

Michael Paris parisjm2004 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 30 11:01:42 MDT 2005

Mistakes, yes.

I remember well the case of Lennel (sp?) Jeter, an engineer at a
E-Systems in Dallas, (a high-tech company owned at one time by Ross
Perot Sr.)

Mr. Jeter was arrested by the Dallas Police allegedly for a robbery at
a lunch place he frequented. The witness provided vague details,
primarily that the robber was a black male approximately Jeter's age
and build.

On that basis he was indicted by the grand jury and convicted in a jury
trial. His lawyer filed appeals, but the wheels of justice move _very_
slowly in Texas.

After some time the TV show 60 Minutes aired the case and shortly
thereafter he was released and exonerated.

So much for eyewitness testimony, not to mention reasonable doubt.
Apparently the jury never considered why a highly-skilled and well-paid
engineer would rob a fast-food place at lunch then go back to work? But
never let logic stand in the way of getting a conviction.

Michael

--- "Richard P. Hayes" <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:

> My principal opposition to the death penalty is not on ethical
grounds but on epistemological grounds. It is possible to make mistakes
in finding people guilty. It is impossible to bring someone back to
life
if one finds one has mistakenly sentenced him to death.