[Buddha-l] Re: S. Pinker

SJZiobro at cs.com SJZiobro at cs.com
Thu Jun 30 14:31:00 MDT 2005

In a message dated 6/29/2005 11:37:39 AM Eastern Standard Time, Richard P.
Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> writes:

> On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 11:14 -0400, Stanley J. Ziobro II wrote:
>
> > The dominant religious ethos in the 18th century was Christian, and it
> > remains so today in the 21st century.
>
> There is no reason to believe either of these statements. The question
> of what a religious ethos is and what "dominant" means makes your claim
> meaningless. In other words, what you are obviously trying to do is to
> claim the USA for Christianity. I cannot think of a more offensive move
> to make.

Richard, any statement can be subjected to methodological doubt with the
claim that there is no reason to believe what the statement articulates.  From
this perspective I would agree with you.  That said, I see no grounds for
reasonably disagreeing with the historical record.  We know what a religious ethos
is, and we know what "dominant" means.  To state otherwise strikes me as
disingenuous.  I'm not, by the way, trying to claim the USA for Christianity.  I
shall not, however, deny the sociological reality that Christianity is the
dominant religion here in the States.  If you take offense at this, I'll not argue
that you should not since we are dealing with emotions, and emotions are neither
true nor false.  If somebody wants to claim the USA for Buddhism (or Islam,
or Judaism, or Shinto) I see nothing offensive in that, but perhap that is just
one of my quirks.  We still have significant areas of freedom of speech left
in the society.

> > So, our nation is still basically a Christian one.
>
> A nation dedicated to greedy consumerism, unwarranted invasions of other
> countries and abandoning its own poor and disenfranchised is Christian?
> My understanding of Christianity is admittedly limited, but I had
> thought that it was a religion that took a radical departure from the
> values of the Romans.

This is a fine rhetorical move on your part.  I happen to agree with you that
unadulterated consumerism is antithetical to Christianity (and I suspect to
Buddhism, right?), and I happen to agree with you that where our government has
abandoned the poor (they are always a handy group to bring into an argument)
and we intentionally willingly acquiesce in this abandonment, that is
antithetical to Christianity.  But I am not willing to claim that the failings of
Christians changes the sociological fact that the greater majority of people who
here in the USA practice a religion (however poorly), ally themselves with some
form of Christianity.  Speaking of the Romans, there is a judicious principle
in Roman Law that gives expression to the fact that the misuse of some thing
or custom or law does not nullify the good use of that same thing or custom or
law, or that the matter in question is disproved by the misuse thereof.
Accordingly, the fact that there are Christians who do not live up to the demands
of the Gospel does not nullify that reality that they are Christians; they are
simply benighted or unfaithful.

> > As for your blanket statement that what binds in the 18th
> > century cannot possibly be binding in the first decade of the 21st
> > century, that is a red herring, and its obvious falsity stinks:).
>
> That principle has been articulated by the Supreme Court on several
> occasions, in the context of this very issue. So it is neither false nor
> a red herring.

Your original statement was simply a blanket statement to the effect that
whatever bound anybody in any manner in the 18th century "cannot possibly be
binding in the first decade of the 21st century."  As stated, this is false.
Nonetheless, if you accept the principle that nothing in the 18th century binds in
the 21st, then you must agree that the freedoms guaranteed by the Bill of
Rights do not bind the U.S. Government in this first decade of the 21st century.
There is something counter-intuitive to this, don't you think?  I would also
think that the Supreme Court's justification of this principle simply further
opens the door to the judiciary subverting the legislative branches of
government.  There is also something counter-intuitive to this, especially in light
of the clearly articulated checks and balances mentioned in the Constitution.

> > But I am surprised that you would even pretend that you are taking my
> > Hail Mary remarks seriously.
>
> I take it the Hail Mary comment was offered in jest, and I responded in
> kind, as I'm sure you have figured out. No need to carry the joke any
> further by pretending to have been joking when in fact you were being
> serious.

I was simply responding in jest to your original Hail Mary comment made in
jest (which I rather enjoyed).

> > My only real desire is that all people be able to nurture what is
> > condusive in their lives to authentic peace, well-being, and
> > happiness.
>
> You evade questions much better than you answer them. (You have mastered
> the art of imitating our esteemed president.) Let me ask again: From
> what to what would you convert me or anyone else, even in jest?

I really do not think that I've evaded your questions.  Perhaps you see
evasion much better than you discern genuine answers.  If and when I pray for
anybody's conversion my prayer primarily is that they grow in the love of God and
of neighbor.  If you'd like, though, I can and will pray that you become an
authentic Christian; but that is your choice, OK?  I actually do respect a person
in their freedom to choose what ever faith they judge in conscience they must
adhere if they are to be aware, understanding, reasonable, and responsible as
a human being.

Regards,

Stan Ziobro