[Buddha-l] Buddhist ethics in a contemporary world

Stefan Detrez stefan.detrez at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 01:48:19 MST 2005

The problem of a 'Buddhist ethics' can be solved on a scriptural
-let's say, theoretical- basis and on a practical basis.
A theoretical basis would shed light on how the people in the
sutta's/sutra's responded in particular ethical situations, thereby
providing an example to be followed in contemporary settings. It's a
sort of literal reading of the sutta's/sutra's.
The practical basis is based on this theoretical basis, but the texts
are not regarded in such an extent that authority is that what the
texts say. Regional differences illustrate the 'local' interpretation
of the theory. An interesting example is the application of the death
penalty in Thailand, a school example of a Buddhist country.
On a scriptural basis one can go for a diachronic and a synchronic approach.
The diachronic approach would have to sort out an chronological order
of the canonization of the sutta's/sutra's. In that case, early texts
would provide a different view of what it means to be ethical, than
later texts. The synchronic approach would take all texts as equally
authoritative. My feeling is that in cases dealing with moral
problems, the synchronic approach is made.
Now, to solve contemporary ethical problems, one can fall back on
scripture, tradition and reflection. My opinion is that some moral
issues today are far more complex than those in the Buddha's time,
that it would be an unjustified simplification to try and fit those
problems within the problem-solving framework of those times.
Tradition itself (like, I don't do it, because my parents don't do it)
is not what the Buddha prescribed. In fact, paradoxically, he, as a
spiritual leader, was bold enough to disregard leaders' authority, and
by implication, his own authority (which was not done). Reflection is
what is left for proper problem solving.
Now, if scripture is too outdated for proper dealing with ethical
issues, than it might be healthy in some instances that one discards
general guidelines as found in the sutta's and find find more adapted
means to solve those problmes.
If tradition doesn't necessarily lead to the best solution, then here
again one is almost obliged to drop the weight of tradition and find
other means.
Reflection seems then to be the best resort for problem solving, but
at the same time, it engenders an implosion of the authority of
scripture and tradition, leaving us with nothing more than the now and
the yearning for the good. It leaves one in the position of the
freethinker. And that when the best results are achieved, but at the
same time, we are trapped in our particularity, not being eager to
fall back on tradition and/or scripture.
What to do?  To look for an unbiased compromise between all parties?
Difficult, but necessary.

Stefan Detrez