[Buddha-l] Re: Multi-cause vs single-cause

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Fri Mar 11 14:48:50 MST 2005

On Friday, March 11, 2005, Richard P. Hayes wrote:

> [...]  I  see  no  reason  to  believe the Kalama sutta, since it is
> merely a scripture that is unreliable by itself.

   I  agree with you here. It is not a consistent scripture. :) Beside
that,  I  think  that the usual understanding of the _Kalama sutta_ is
quite unwholesome. According to Buddhist teaching, our samsaric stream
of  consciousness  is characterized by ignorance, so how could we rely
on ignorance to make our decisions? I have never understood it.

   Best wishes,

   Beni