[Buddha-l] Re: Multi-cause vs single-cause

Michel Clasquin clasqm at mweb.co.za
Sat Mar 12 05:46:31 MST 2005

Benito Carral wrote:

>    I agree with you here, decisions are made. I was just pointing some
> questions  about  the  _Kalama  sutta_ in context. And keeping that in
> mind,  indeed  I  have  an  alternative,  to ask the enlightened ones,
> roshis, gurus, theras and so on.

Agreed, that is an improvement. But even if the enlightened one's
information is gained from a position of perfect knowledge and
understanding (debatable, but let it slide), I do not actually have
access to it. All I have is my imperfect and ignorance-ridden perception
of what I think the enlightened one said. So the ignorance pervading my
decision-making process may be decreased a little, but it doesn't go
away entirely.

Isn't epistemology fun?