[Buddha-l] Ethics

Jim Peavler jpeavler at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 13 11:52:15 MST 2005

On Mar 12, 2005, at 1:01 PM, Michel Clasquin wrote:

> Evelyn Ruut wrote:
>
>> I hate to bring up Rotary again, but we have what we call "the four
>> way test for everything we say, think and do".   It is not too
>> simplistic, since whatever you are considering has to pass all four
>> questions affirmatively.
>>  Is it the truth?
>> Is it fair to all concerned?
>
> If it is true, how can it be unfair? And if it is fair to all
> concerned, does that not make it true? These two amount to the same
> thing.

At first blush this sounds like about the most naive thing I have ever
read. There is nothing fair in the universe excepting that humans
observing the event declare it fair or unfair, and it is often the case
that what one person or group sees as grossly unfair the other group
sees as a prime example of justice.
Fairness (like truth) is a concept. I said "CONCEPT", inherently
ingrained and evolved in the brains of humans (maybe some animals for
all I know). But it requires a "judgment" on the event that can almost
never be the same for all possible persons or groups judging the event.

I watch coyotes chasing a small group of deer. Several of the deer
clear the fence without incident, but one accidentally bumps into her
yearling fawn, who hesitated before clearing the fence, and she catches
her leg and falls. She is able to get loose and continue to run, but is
slowed by a broken leg, and the coyotes soon start nipping her legs,
nose, ears, anything they can get ahold of. After several minutes of
running, the doe is brought to bay, and after a terrible struggle is
finally killed by hundreds of wounds all over her body.

This is a horrible scene. The doe, running from coyotes was being
careful to keep her body between her fawn and the coyotes. Because of
this, she was too close when the frightened yearling hesitated at the
fence, hence missing her jump and breaking her leg. Is it fair that a
devoted mother, protecting her fawn, has to make the supreme sacrifice
for so small an incident. Why wasn't at least lucky enough to only be
delayed slightly, not injured? From my point of view, sitting here on
the porch watching, the incident seems unfair to the doe, although it
certainly has the stench of truth.

The coyotes, on the other hand, are having a bad winter. We have had
deep snow on the ground since November, and their access to the voles,
rabbits, and other small critters have been largely unavailable, so
they have began to form packs in order to try to bring down larger
animals. The coyotes, especially the first-winter pups, are thin and
weak. A kill means another week or two of survival. As soon as the deer
is brought down the "killers" set up a howl that brings in all the
coyotes, young and old, and they all get their "fair" share as
established by the customs of the pack.

As I sit here, watching the feast from my porch, I think what a
wonderful thing it is that these beautiful dogs, working together in
the best interest of the whole group, clearly deserve a success that
allows them to continue their lives and their obviously loving
relationships.

I am sorry. I have a hard time understanding either fairness or truth
except as relative to the point of view of the participants.