[Buddha-l] Re: G-d damn it

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Mon Mar 14 09:50:34 MST 2005

On Monday, March 14, 2005, Richard P. Hayes wrote:

>> if  you  ask  an  orthodox Jew, he will tell you that the ten
>> commandments  come  from  G-d  and  that he follows them just
>> because that reason.

> This  is  a  digression,  but  one  of my former colleagues at
> McGill  was  a  professor  in  Jewish  Studies;  she is now at
> Harvard.  She  once  said to me it drove her crazy when Jewish
> students  wrote  "G-d",  because  she  felt it betrayed a deep
> ignorance of Jewish tradition.

   It  is  quite  easy  to understand. If one wants to feel as a
Jew,  one  has to act as a Jew, and in some Jewish circles, Jews
write  G-d. Moreover, it is a sign of respect. I would recommend
your  former colleague to take some meditation classes and relax
a bit. In addition, _G-d_ would only be a blasphemy if by such a
signifier one meant something different than 'G-d.'

   Best wishes,

   Beni