[Buddha-l] Re: G-d damn it

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Mon Mar 14 14:10:11 MST 2005

On Monday, March 14, 2005, Michel Clasquin wrote:

> But  <he said in a stranied effort to move back on topic> then
> why do we always capitalise the word "buddha"?

   That's  a  good  question.  In  my  Spanish  translations  or
Buddhist writings, I only write "el Buda" for Shakuamuni Buddha.
In  other  cases,  I write, for example, "el buda Shakyamuni" or
"el  buda Amitabha." From time to time, I have some problems, as
in  "el recit´o el nombre de buda" (he recited Buddha's name). I
know  that  it  usually refers to Amitabha Buddha, but... so I'm
thinking  in translating it as "el recit´o el nombre de un buda"
(he recited the name of a Buddha).

   Best wishes,

   Beni