[Buddha-l] Spelling Question

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Mar 14 19:22:02 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 14:59 -0800, Hal Cooper wrote:

> Obviously I am challenged when it comes to spelling.

American, eh?

> I am wondering if both these spellings are correct, or  is one more
> correct than the other?  I have seen it spelled both ways in different
> books.

> Anuttara-samyak-sambodhi

This is correct. For a breakdown of the meaning, "uttara" means "higher"
and "anuttara" means "than which nothing is higher"; "samyak" means
"right, perfect, correct"; and "sambodhi" means "full awakening."

> Anatura-samyak-sambodhi

This makes no sense to me. It ain't Sanskrit. It ain't Pali. It's Dutch.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy