[Buddha-l] Re: Multi-cause vs single-cause

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Tue Mar 15 05:23:37 MST 2005

On Tuesday, March 15, 2005, Richard P. Hayes wrote:

> I  am not sure what the "usual understanding" of the so-called
> Kalama  Sutta  (more  properly  called  the  Kesaputtiya, as I
> recall) is. The sutta itself is not really very confusing, but
> in English translation it becomes confusing.

   I  like to read it in a Spanish translation from the Pali and
it  is  not confusing at all. It is only that is not consistent.
It's like the liar paradox. (Anyway, and for some reason I don't
remember, it is the first sutta I give my students to read.)

> Read  the  Kalama  Sutta  again,  and I think this time you'll
> understand  it  (but  only  if  you first cleanse your mind of
> distracting thoughts about such things as D--s).

   G-d  is  not a distracting thought for me, Richard, maybe you
are allergic to Him, I can't know.

   Best wishes,

   Beni

   * Benito Carral
     http://www.baolin.org (in Spanish)

     "...emancipate yourself from mental slavery..."