[Buddha-l] Buddha or buddha?

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Tue Mar 15 08:43:00 MST 2005

Dear Buddha-L citizens,

   Today  I  have  been  translating master Xuyun's autobiograhy
English edition into Spanish, and I have found the next passage:

        [Governor  Tang  said:]  Therefore  I  want  to do three
        things;  (1)  To  hold  Buddhist  rites  praying for the
        Buddha's  protection  so that misfortunes can be averted
        and to pray for the welfare of the dead.

   And  I  ask myself, in "the Buddha's protection," what Buddha
is  Governor  Tang  referring  to? Shakyamuni Buddha? The Cosmic
Buddha?   How   should   we  differentiate  between  the  Buddha
(Shakyamuni) and the (Cosmic) Buddha?

   Comments are welcome. :)

   Best wishes,

   Beni