[Buddha-l] Re: Multi-cause vs single-cause

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Tue Mar 15 09:03:37 MST 2005

On Tuesday, March 15, 2005, Richard P. Hayes wrote:

> The Kalama Sutta is nothing at all like the liar's paradox. It
> would  be  like  the  liar's  paradox  only  if the sutta said
> something like never to trust suttas.

   Obviously our readings are different. :)

>> G-d  is  not a distracting thought for me, Richard, maybe you
>> are allergic to Him, I can't know.

> One cannot be allergic to something that does not exist, so it
> is not God I am allergic to.

   Obviously we have different understanding here too. :)

> Buddha-l,  I  think, is a place where people should be able to
> spend   a   few   moments   without   being  reminded  of  the
> unpleasantness of those who are forcing the issue of God.

   Then  maybe  you  should forbid G-d and any reference to that
name  in  Buddha-L. But I think to remember that I used 'G-d' to
talk  about  how  different groups or individuals understand the
commandments,  replying a post about ethics. So maybe you should
forbid to talk about the commandments too.

   On  the  other hand, maybe you should relax a bit about 'G-d'
and  'God,'  since  Buddha-L  is something more than an American
thing  and  this  question  is  a complete waste of time (I will
continue  writing  'G-d' no matter what your friends think), and
say  something  about  the  original  post  about  ethics or the
commandments or let the people talk.

   Best wishes,

   Beni