[Buddha-l] Re: Multi-cause vs single-cause

Stanley J. Ziobro II ziobro at wfu.edu
Tue Mar 15 12:28:54 MST 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, jkirk wrote:

> What I may be allergic to is people who talk about God at
> > every drop of the hat, and this is only because I live in a country that
> > is being hounded on a daily basis by right-wing extremists, who insist
> > on cramming God-talk into every conversation. Buddha-l, I think, is a
> > place where people should be able to spend a few moments without being
> > reminded of the unpleasantness of those who are forcing the issue of
> > God.
> >
> > --
> > Richard Hayes
> ===================
> Indeed! All the recent god or g-d belief talk is getting to be tiresome and
> has nothing to do with this list's focus, unless someone is discussing gods,
> that is deities, which might be relevant to this list, depending. (Depending
> on what should be obvious.)
> Joanna

Do you, Joanna (and Richard), object to God talk per se or to certain
usages thereof?  It seems to me that the sort of God talk objected to (at
least by Richard) is that utilized by his beloved right-wing brothers and
sisters.  It has a moralizing quality to it that seems naive.  But what of
God talk that is concerned with perceptions of reality, and the like?  I'd
hate to think the same sort of bigotry of which the right-wing God talkers
are accused is being transposed and manifesting itself here.

Stan Ziobro