[Buddha-l] Re: G-d, the D-vil and other imaginary friends

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Mar 16 15:05:16 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 14:39 -0500, Dharma Grandmother wrote:

> With deep respect, my understanding is that in Mahayana Buddhism (which
> is only "yana" that teaches BN), "all" sentient beings have Buddha
> Nature so the question would seem to have no basis.  ??

Mahayana is not a monolithic doctrine. It is a hodgepodge of doctrines
from a great variety of texts. The texts that talked abut icchantikas
deny that all sentient beings have buddha nature, and the texts that say
that all sentient beings have buddha nature deny that there are
icchantikas. In Mahayana, you pays your money an takes your choice.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy