[Buddha-l] Turning wheels

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Mar 17 11:10:13 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 10:31 -0700, Richard P. Hayes wrote:

> I am not familiar with this "third turning of the wheel" doctrine. So it
> looks as though I have something to learn. Where can I find out about
> it?

Being an old fogey born in an era when kerosene lamps were still in
common use outside the big city, I completely forgot about Google, the
Internet's answer to duct tape (every Canadian's favourite tool). I just
now read all about the three turnings of the wheel. What a strange and
peculiar doctrine it is, too. Upon reading it on the site recommend most
highly by Google, I realized that I did once read about this three-wheel
thing, some thirty years ago, and promptly put it out of my mind. The
Unitarian in me tends to rebel at things that come in sets of three. (I
even whittled the three gems down to just one, the Dharma, since without
it there would be neither buddhas nor sanghas.)

As Milton said "All's well that ends well."

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy