[Buddha-l] Re: G-d, the D-vil and other imaginary friends

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Mar 17 12:27:15 MST 2005

William Magee wrote:

> This is a good point. So perhaps the term "nature" is not a good
> translation for "garbha," usually meaning "womb."  Some translators
> are moving to "Buddha Matrix," giving a nice sci-fi flavor to the
> topic.

There seems to be some confusion about the terminology involved here.  I
have previously written about this at length so will not repeat everything
again.

There are two key terms that should be noted:  Buddha-dhaatu and
Tathaagata-garbha.  Though they became merged in meaning, they each seem to
have arisen as the preferred term of two seperate groups.  Both terms seem
to have arisen in connection with stupas and their contents.  It is
Buddha-dhaatu that, via its Chinese equivalent (fo-xing), that gets
translated as "Buddha-nature", though the "dhaatu" bit covers a quite wider
range of connotations than "nature" suggests.

Tathaagata-garbha is rendered into Chinese and Tibetan differently -- the
former using an equivalent for "Buddha-womb" and the latter "Buddha-essence"
(= embryo).  This reflects the historical shift in meaning that can be
discerned between the Tathaagata-garbha-suutra and slightly later texts such
as the MPNS.  To be precise, the TGS  uses the term as a bahuvrihi compound
while the late texts understand it a tat-puru.sa.  I.e.  Tathaagata-garbha
is either something which you have or something which you are.  This shows
why an uninformed  mechanical approach to translation leads to
distortions -- "Buddha Matrix" can only be used for the TGS type of usage
and to extend it to other texts without bothering to look at them in detail
is very misleading.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge