[Buddha-l] MPNS (Morrison)

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Mar 18 19:09:39 MST 2005

Dear Robert,

> Good to see you back!
Thanks !

> Yes, but reading Yamamoto's translation of Dharmaksema, at least all the
> analogies used are consistent in attempting to show that it is a mistake
> take Buddha-nature as a literally existing in unawakened beings.
Two things here:  1) Yamamoto's English rendering is not entirely reliable
or accurate, though a brave attempt to introduce the MPNS to a wider
audience.  However I notice that he does misunderstand things at times.  2)
I assume you mean the portion of D from Ch18 - 45.  This does not surprise
me but rather corroborates my view that that portion of the MPNS has a
different agenda to the earlier section.  It should also be noted that even
Ch 1 - 17 in D has been carefully re-worked by somebody in comparison to
Faxian / Tib & the Skt fragments.  The Faxian / Tibetan versions *do*,
overall, take so-called Buddha-nature as literally existing, as my quotes
shows -- though they are not completely consistent.

> So are you suggesting that Dharmaksema, or at least his text, has been
> modified to present a consistent anti-essentialist view of
> Buddha-nature/-dhatu?
Yes.

> Also, these analogies are scattered throughout Dharmaksema's text,
> not just the 'later portions'.
As I mention above, even in Ch 1 - 17, D has been re-worked.  For the
benefit of other readers,  should mention that Faxian represents the
earliest extant version, followed by the Tibetan (which is closest to the
Skt fragments from Central Asia), followed by D.  In other words, although
the Faxian and the Tibetan translations are separated by approx 400 years,
they are relatively close in content -- but some re-writing has taken place
by the time of the Tibetan version.  On the other hand, Faxian and
Dharmaksema are just separated by a few decades but the difference between
them is quite considerable, with many interpolated passages even in ch 1 -
18.

> As for the 'correct position', I would argue as follows.
I am glad you have put 'correct position' in inverted commas.  This raises
some important issues.

> This is straightforward essentialism, later called
> satkaaryavaada, 'the doctrine that the effect exists in the cause'.
There are some strands of Buddhism that are quite comfortable with this --
apart from the MPNS (Faxian / Tib), it later figures extensively in Tantric
Buddhism.

[snip]

> So while the 'ghee actually exists hidden in the milk' view is certainly
> Indic, it completely contradicts what the Buddha is reported as saying
> above
> and in many others places in the Pali suttas and Aagamas.
The key words here are "is reported as saying".  If we look at the
scriptures of other religions -- Christianity, Islam, Judaism etc, it has
become fairly clear that the words attributed to the various prophets and
founders are basically fiction.  Fiction in the sense that they were never
spoken or even likely to have been spoken by the people to whom they are
attributed.  I can't see any reason to suppose the case was different with
Buddhism.  However, it may be possible to retrieve some pre-canonical
elements in these cases -- often snippets revered for their age but of which
the significance was early lost.  To take a small but very important example
from the Christian Gospels -- the mention of the woman who touched the "hem"
of Jesus' robe.  It was probably left in because the significance of this
was completely lost in Greek and other later languages to gentile readers --
it was not his "hem" but the fringe of his prayer shawl that she touched.
If Jesus regularly wore a prayer shawl, then other deductions follow which
cast doubt on various Christian claims made about him.

Anyway, I am quite happy to accept that the position you describe was indeed
attributed to the Buddha and became the pre-dominantly orthodox view but I
really do wonder to what extent the orthodox position was in toto actually
taught by the Buddha. Generally, most people's understanding of Buddhism is
the neatly systematized version of some particular school or lineage, with
all the wrinkles carefully smoothed away or hidden from sight.  But there
are enough doctrinal inconsistencies and variations even in the Nikayas /
Agamas to give one pause for thought.  I have not got the time to go into
this in detail but some scholars who have tried to extricate pre-canonical
elements in Buddhism arrive a picture not too dissimilar to some of the MPNS
doctrines.  Have a look at the work of Stanislaw Schayer, pp 374-77 of
Reginald Ray's "Buddhist Saints in India" (Oxford 1994) [In fact the whole
book is significant], and the much-neglected "Nama-rupa and Dharma-rupa" by
Maryla Falk (Calcutta 1943), Kamaleswar Bhattacarya's book on the
Brahman-Atman in Early Buddhism [sorry, don't have the exact French title to
hand at the moment], and also Tillman Vetter's "Ideas and Meditative
Practices of Early Buddhism".

> So if Dharmaksema or his followers did alter the text, then it seems
> they might have done so to subvert what they saw as brahminism
> sneeking in under the guise of Buddha-nature.
Indeed, that is exactly what I think they did.  However, the key words for
me here are "what they saw as brahminism".  I think that it is fairly well
accepted, as I am sure you know, these days that there were two strands in
early / mid-period Buddhism -- the monastics and the forest-dwellers.  The
differences between them in terms of doctrine and practice are not fully
known but some salient features are understood.  The contrast between
dhyaana and praj~naa as a means to liberation is one that comes to mind.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, it would seem that the bulk of the
Nikayas / Agamas are a product of the monastics and not the
forest-dwellers -- Buddhism seems to have undergone rapid changes at the
hands of the monastics, a process that even started soon after the Buddha's
death.  This is corroborated when one reads between the lines accounts of
the last years of poor old Ananda who outlived all the other immediate
disciples.

Now, as far as the MPNS is concerned, there are important clues concerning
both the origins of the text and even the origins of some strands of
Mahayana.  This concerns the mysterious group of "acaryas", teachers of the
MPNS, who do not follow the monastic vinaya (or even live in monasteries)
but follow a moral code derived from the sutras.  They spent their time
going around in pilgrimage and preaching at the main great stupas enshrining
the Buddha's relics.  This stupa connection becomes especially important in
the context of the MPNS as both "tathagata-garbha" and "buddha-dhaatu" are
actually technical terms related to stupas in origin.

My suggestion is that these acaryas were members of an out-lying Buddhist
wing, possibly akin to the forest-swellers, who possibly preserved a
different or pre-canonical understanding of the Buddha's teachings -- cut
off from the monasteries, they may well have missed out on much of the
"orthodox" invention of Buddhism.  Sure, this is speculative and the
evidence is fragmentary but putting all the scattered bits together, one can
arrive at a different picture of the development of Buddhism in which it is
the "orthodox" view which is actually unorthodox.  This is what the core,
unrevised,  portion MPNS keeps repeating.

Sorry if the above is bit of a muddle but it all really needs a book to
discuss.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge

PS:  Yes, the back is fine now but other health problems persist.